Competitive exams stimulate effective learning and promote healthy competition in students. Academic competitions, like Olympiads, help them develop analytical skills and build confidence. It uncovers students’ hidden potential and skills. These exams also prepare them for future challenges, such as college and professional life.
Continue reading to know more for your child’s effective introduction to Olympiads.
What are Olympiad Exams?
Olympiad exams are competitive examinations held across schools for students in classes 1–12 at both national and international levels. There are some Olympiads, such as the Pre-Regional Mathematics Olympiad, Kishor Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna (KVPY), and National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), that are conducted only for higher grades, while others are conducted for all grades. Here are some of the major Olympiad exams with all the necessary details:
|Competition Title||Conducting Body||Eligibility||Exam Fee||Official Website|
|Unified Cyber Olympiad||Unified Council||Class 2nd to 10th||₹ 150/-||www.unifiedcouncil.com|
|National Cyber Olympiad||Science Olympiad Foundation||Class 1st to 10th||₹ 150/-||www.sofworld.org|
|International Informatics Olympiad||Silver Zone Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.silverzone.org|
|International Maths Olympiad||Science Olympiad Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||125/-||www.sofworld.org|
|International Olympiad Of Maths||Silver Zone Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.silverzone.org|
|National Mathematics Talent Contest||Association Of Mathematics Teachers Of India||Class 5th to 12th||₹ 75/-||www.amtionline.com|
|Unified International Mathematics Olympiad||Unified Council||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.unifiedcouncil.com|
|International Olympiad Of Science||Silver Zone Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.silverzone.org|
|Kishor Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna||Department Of Science & Technology||Class 11th & 12th||Please visit website||kvpy.iisc.ernet.in|
|National Level Science Talent Search Examination||Unified Council||Class 2nd to 12th||₹ 300/- (Individual Registration)||www.unifiedcouncil.com|
|National Science Olympiad||Science Olympiad Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.sofworld.org|
|National Talent Search Examination||National Council Of Education Research And Training||Class 10th||Vary in different state||www.ncert.nic.in|
|International General Knowledge Olympiad||Science Olympiad Foundation||Class 1st to 10th||₹ 150/-||www.sofworld.org/igko|
|International Reasoning & Aptitude Olympiad (IRAO)||Silverzone Foundation||Class 3rd to12th||₹ 180/-||www.silverzone.org/newweb/
|International Talent Hunt Olympiad (ITHO)||Silverzone Foundation||Class 1st to 10th||₹ 150/-||www.silverzone.org|
|International English Olympiad||Science Olympiad Foundation||Class 1st to 12th||₹ 150/-||www.sofworld.org|
|National Standard Examination In Junior Science||Indian Association Of Physics Teacher Mentored By Hbcse||Date of birth between 1st January 2005 and 31st December 2006||₹ 150/-||www.iaptexam.in|
|National Standard Examination In Physics||Indian Association Of Physics Teacher Mentored By Hbcse||Date of Birth between 1st July 2000 and 30 June 2005, both days inclusive||₹ 150/-||www.iapt.org.in|
|National Standard Examination In Astronomy And Astrophysics||Indian Association Of Physics Teacher Mentored By Hbcse||Date of Birth between 1st July 2000 and 30 June 2005, both days inclusive||₹ 150/-||www.iapt.org.in|
|National Standard Examination In Chemistry||Indian Association Of Physics Teacher Mentored By Hbcse||Date of Birth between 1st July 2000 and 30 June 2005, both days inclusive||₹ 150/-||www.iapt.org.in|
|National Standard Examination In Biology||Indian Association Of Physics Teacher Mentored By Hbcse||Date of Birth between 1st July 2000 and 30 June 2005, both days inclusive||₹ 150/-||www.iapt.org.in|
|Pre-Regional Mathematics Olympiad||Mathematics Teachers Association mentored By Hbcse||Class 8th to 12th||₹ 230/-||www.mtaexam.com|
|International Social Studies Olympiad||Silver Zone Foundation||Class 1-10||150 INR||www.silverzone.org|
Students from different schools and boards can take part in it. A few conducting bodies for these exams are the Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF), Unified Council, Silver Zone Foundation, etc. These exams improve students’ existing knowledge of subject matter and intellect.
What are Some Important Things to Remember Regarding Olympiad Exams?
Here are some of the important facts about Olympiad exams:
- These exams are conducted for different categories for different levels.
- Students can take part in subjects like Maths, Science, General Knowledge, English, Computer, Drawing, Essay, Social Studies etc.
- Olympiad exams are conducted both online and offline.
- The International Commerce Olympiad, International General Knowledge Olympiad, National Cyber Olympiad and some of the Olympiads that are conducted as single-level exams.
- The International Mathematics Olympiad, National Science Olympiad Exam, and International English Olympiad Exam are some of the Olympiads that are conducted at multiple
What are the Benefits of Olympiad Exams?
Olympiad exams aim to enhance conceptual learning. The benefits of Olympiad exams are as follows:
1. Participating in National and International Level Exams
Olympiad exams allow students to compete at national and international levels, against students from different learning backgrounds. These exams provide a fair chance for every student to explore different skills and domain knowledge.
2. Analysing Strengths and Weaknesses
Participating in academic competitions, such as Olympiads, presents students with a valuable opportunity to not only recognise their strengths but also to pinpoint areas in which they can further develop their skills. These competitions serve as a unique platform for self-assessment, allowing individuals to gain a deeper understanding of their academic abilities and areas that may require additional attention.
3. Learning to Apply Textbook Knowledge
In Olympiads, the questions are generally high-level application questions. Therefore, students get additional knowledge besides theoretical knowledge. Additionally, they also learn to apply the concepts of textbooks in real life.
4. Common Platform and Exposure
These competitive exams provide a common platform for students, as they have a chance to gauge their knowledge and skills on a national level with peers of their own age. They help recognise exceptional students with talent, potential, aptitude, and IQ and motivate them to keep going. Students are exposed to different ideas as they compete, which improves the overall learning process.
5. Building a Learner’s Attitude in Students
Olympiads for students help build a learner’s attitude in students and prepare them for their future careers. It allows them to have in-depth knowledge about the subject matter.
6. Developing the Character of Students
Competitive exams are great opportunities to learn that every problem has a solution. These exams demand both accuracy and speed from students. Therefore, they help students think out of the box and learn essential skills to prepare for these exams.
How to Prepare for Olympiad Exams?
Parents can register their kids either directly through school or on their own online. To prepare for these exams, students should consider the factors below:
Plan as Early as Possible
- Planning as early as possible is essential for students aiming to crack Olympiads efficiently. These competitive exams do not require students to study excessively but rather to practice diligently every day. A proper schedule should be planned, dividing the topics equally. This approach reduces stress and aids in better retention, helping students manage their time more effectively during the actual exam.
- Seeking help is an important part of a student’s growth. There may be times when they feel directionless and unmotivated. Make sure that your kids know that they can come to you for help. When students face difficulty in understanding certain topics, ask them to contact their teachers for assistance. Teachers will provide clarity on doubts, ultimately saving students a significant amount of time.
Practice Sample Papers
- Students are encouraged to practice sample papers from previous years to gain insight into the types of questions that appear in these exams. This practice allows students to understand the level of difficulty beforehand and prepare accordingly. When it comes to succeeding in competitive exams, the more students practice, the better their understanding becomes. Devoting ample amount of time to practice is the key to cracking these exams.
At Narayana Group of Schools, we take immense pride in our groundbreaking educational programme, “eTechno.” Designed exclusively for students in grades 6–10, this programme not only provides comprehensive support for school and CBSE Board exams but also places a profound emphasis on cultivating young minds for success in various Olympiads.
In conclusion, the introduction to Olympiads is a gateway to a world of academic excellence and personal growth. It nurtures students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills and awakens a competitive spirit in them. Besides fueling passion towards learning, it lays the foundation for a successful future career.
To stay updated about all the important information from the Narayana Educational Institutions, Join our social media channels: